Saturday, January 03, 2009

A Special Christmas Eve!
Ring-ring-ring! Its 6AM on Christmas Eve and the telephone is my wake up call. I'm glad to hear that my past due date client is in labor! There is no Christmas gift more precious than a new baby! And this newest little one is no exception, she was born at 9:27AM on 12/24 and to top it off, mom had a VB2C (vaginal birth after two cesareans). Mom was amazing and followed her instincts and did as her body dictated. The support team, daddy and me, were just following her lead and believed in her explicitly! Even when she said her labor was progressing fast and she wanted to go to the hospital after one hour of labor! Our plan was to labor at home as long as possible, get in the newly purchased birth pool and do everything to prevent another cesarean. Well, so much for having any preconceived notions about any labor! How many times do I tell folks to be ready for anything...
stay open - ahhh, love that word, OPEN ...
I'm glad we were ready with birth pool and other laboring helps, even when we didn't have time or need to use them. Mom's labor did move fast - how well she knew! Maybe the massage, the primrose oil, helped. It's hard to tell. These non-interventive, non-medical techniques can't hurt and that's the important thing. I think that the waiting & wondering (how will it all go?) was the hardest part of Mom's pregnancy & labor. I think Mom will agree that the waiting was oh so worth it.
This special Christmas Eve birth made my Christmas celebration oh so much more special this year!
Thank you to all the women that have let me into their life this last year to celebrate birth days. To celebrate the miracle of our bodies’ power and our family love, manifested in birth! As your doula I am eternally grateful! Happy New Year! Love, Rosie

Luke 2:10-14 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.